NEW ALBUM BY TANZANIAN EX-MINNESOTA RESIDENT FADHILI NKURLU
By Swallehe Msuya, Minneapolis, MN (USA)


Until two years ago, Fadhili Nkurlu (Tanzanian) lived in the Twin Cities for twelve years working as an engineer of 3M, a big electronics company in Minnesota. Fadhili was a familiar face at The Blue Nile club in Minneapolis as music composer, arranger, keyboard player, producer and singer.

He was seen on stage performing with such groups as Mila Band, Marimba Africa, and African Music Experience in the Twin Cities. Internationally, he has shared the same stage with such music icons as Samba Mapangala, Lokasa ya Mbongo and Ngouma Lokito, to name a few.

Two of his songs featured in another Tanzanian Minnesota-based artist and movie maker Josian Kibira's TUSAMEHE and BONGOLAND movies with the titles MAZOWEA and SAFARI.

I caught up with Fadhili Nkurlu in Tanzania where he serves as the local 3M representative and he spoke about his music, his newly released AMANDA-ALBUM, his plans to set up a music academy and recording studio as well as go into politics as a Parliamentarian in next year's general elections.

Asked how he was faring in Tanzania after his return home nearly two years ago, he replied: " First and foremost I thank God for everything. I also thank my people, swahili speaking community in Minnesota for being good friends for all those years that we lived in America.

Well, I like being at home, since I have landed here I have never regreted and never missed America a bit. It is good to be with your people, contribute to the development of your country. However, make no mistake about it, being in the US for over 12 years has been a good lesson that I will cherish for the rest of my life.

Asked to describe his normal working day in Tanzania, he replied: " I wake up at 6am every morning, workout, jog a little. I do take a heavy breakfast, and take my kids to school. Thereafter, I do not have a permanent timetable, somedays I travel to meet clients, somedays I stay in the area so it really depends on the situation and the needs of the day.

"I work for 3M as a country Representative. I am the only employee in the country, thus I have my own schedule. My duties involve business development in the areas of Telecommunication market, Electrical market, Security Systems, Mining, etc, thus I have lots of meeting with MDs, CEOs and other decision makers especially in the mining industry.

Musicwise, what should fans look up for? "First of all, I have my album of 8 songs ready and it is in the market now. I do not play with any band here as you might note how tight my schedule is. I visit other bands every now and then and if I feel like singing, I grab a mic and do my things in one or two numbers, that's it. However, since the music is in my blood, I will continue composing, arrange, sing and sell out the music.

On his newly released album, he said: "I am happy to divulge to you that my album has been a triumph and people really like it. One of my number "AMANDA" was on the top 10 for straight 6 months. My style of music is different from most musicians here, I do not play soukous or fast music. My music is classic, soothing and with a substance. I am very careful also on the message, I refrain from singing lots of love songs which most musicians are doing here.

He adds: "The music in Tanzania has changed a lot. First, it is now a source of income or rather an employment especially for young musicians. Authentic Tanzanian bands are now very few where Sikinde, Msondo are the only left playing the real Tanzanian Music. The rest like Twanga Pepeta, Akudo, FM Academia are doing great in their style of soukous and stuff like that. There are very few schools of music here and are only located in Dar-es-salaam. Outside Dar there is none.

I have set my own music Academy in Mwanza area, of which my students will be examined by The Royal Schools of Music. I attended Royal School of Music and hold certificates from that Academy. I am in the final dialogue with Mr. Ng'asi who is a Representative of Royal Schools of Music in Tanzania and soon we will be in business. About studios, they are abudant in the country, we are just lacking Mastering facilities.

Commenting on modern music trends in Tanzania to-day, he adds: "The hip hop generation is doing great with their style. Guys like AY, Prof J, Mwana FA and others are great. However, for me like I mentioned prior, my music is more diverse and classic, I am using lots of my music knowledge to arrange the music. In my music you will find dynamics, syncopation, chords like diminished and augumented and things of the sort. These kind of taste you do not find in hip hop guys.

As to his future plans, he had this to say: "Plenty, I am finalizing my academy, and in the mean time I am launching a recording studio in Singida Region where there is none at the moment. Next year, I am going into politics where I will run for member of parliament in my constituency.

Those who wish to contact Fadhili Nkurlu (39),
here is his phone number in Tanzania:
Tel:+255-0784-139-215

Michuzi Blog

Tanzanian blog operating since 2005, covering International news and Local News, including Politics, Fashion, Social Scenes, Interviews, Movies, Events, personalities and anything positive happening worldwide. Written in Swahili and English targeting both Swahili and English readers.

Toa Maoni Yako:

Kuna Maoni 5 mpaka sasa

  1. AnonymousJune 20, 2009

    haaaaa! Hakuna kipya hapa ila hilo panki limenikumbusha mbali sana.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousJune 21, 2009

    Ndio mtu wangu upoo juu endeleza libeneke kama kawa..kaza buti

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ndugu Fadhili

    Nimefurahi kuona taarifa zako na zimenikumbusha mbali. Nimefurahi kusikia kuhusu mipango yako ya kutumia uwezo na vipaji vyako kwa manufaa ya vijana wetu. Nikiwa mmoja wa wale wanaokufahamu vizuri, sina shaka lolote kuwa waTanzania watafaidika na mwongozo na uzoefu wako, kama walivyofaidika watu wa Marekani. Nakutakia kila la heri.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AnonymousJune 21, 2009

    NAMFAHAMU HUYU JAMAA, NI KICHWA CHENYE TALENTS KIBAO

    ReplyDelete
  5. AnonymousJune 22, 2009

    Wee anon wa kwanza acha wivu, mapya yapo mengi. Wewe mwenyewe una ujuzi gani, wabongo wangapi wamerudi nyumbani na kuendelea kuwa waajiri wa makampuni wanayoyafanyia kazi huku states? Tunakupongeza as an interlectual i understand what it takes to be a country representative of a company. Waache watu wenye wivu wakajinyonge, "pandeni juu mkazibe kama mnaweza". Hongera kaka, kijana mbichi majitu mangine hapa DC. mazee kuliko wewe wamekuja tangu 70's na hawana cha kuonyesha na bado wapo kwenye apartments wanahama kila mara mzungu akipandisha kodi. HONGERA AND KEEP IT UP.

    ReplyDelete

Hii ni Blog ya Watanzania popote walipo duniani kwa ajili ya kuhabarisha, kutoa/kupokea taarifa na kuelimisha mambo yote yaliyo chanya kwa Taifa letu. Tafadhali sana unapotoa maoni usichafue hali ya hewa wala usijeruhi hisia za mtu/watu. Kuwa mstaarabu...